Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Sunday sports round up

SOCCER

I attended my first ever soccer gmae yesterday.  It was at The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA, the home of the Los Angeles Galaxy.  We were running a little late, and arived at the 31-minute mark (in the first half).  I had to be told what that meant.  You see, I'm an American football fan and I get clock windng DOWN during play, not wonding UP.  Interesting.

The Galaxy were playing the Portland Timbers, who I was told are not as good of a team as the Galaxy.  But when we arrived, the Timbers were winning, 1-0.  We soon caught the Galaxy score on a goal from one of their best players, Brandon Donovan.  My date and tour guide into this whole new world of sports is from the Pacific Northwest and she was rooting for the Timbers.  Thus, we immediately decided a couple of beers were in order in case this turned into a Galaxy rout. This is the view from our seats:


Later, even tho I had no rooting interest in either team, the Galaxy did score again to take the lead.  And right at the 90-minute mark (basically the end of timed play), that soccer legend that even I have heard of - David Beckham - scored a goal right in front of us.  The place went wild. 

The final sore was 3-1, galaxy.  I would not be at all adverse to going again.  Oh, and this is me and my soccer trainer at our seats:









The next stop for me to a sporting event I have never been to: hockey! 

BASEBALL

As for my favorite baseball team, the Texas Rangers, they are 7-2 after nine games and leading their division. The thing is, they could be 9-0 and undefeated, except their closer has blowng two ninth-inning saves where the Rangers had the lead.  Their closer is a great reliever named Joe Nathan, who is recovering from major arm surgery that kept him out most of last year. 

Texas Rangers pitcher Joe Nathan


This is his attempt to come back from that surgery, and he has the track record to prove that he's an elite pitcher.  But those two blown games may be an indication that his arm has not come all the way back.  The Rangers may have to re-think him for the closer tole, as they have other good candidates in their bullpen to fill that role.  There will not be room for giving up a lot of wins in thet division - the Angels are better this year and will give the Rangers all they can handle going down the stretch.

Okay, kids, that was my Sunday sports report! 

More storytelling the next time we meet.

Thought of the day: There is no Tomorrow without a Today



No comments:

Post a Comment